Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Birds and the Bees

Well, summer is here! I have been on an unusual amount of trips the past few months and have had zero time to write here on the blog! I have missed it, but between packing, airports, schedules, and end of the school year activities, my life has been crazay!!! 

But, along with the change of season comes another change in the household of autism- NO SCHEDULES! Per usual, this lack of structure does not bode well for my little guy. 

Who, btw, is not getting so little anymore, and I must rethink the way I address him! Yes, he is finally hitting his growth spurt and is quite fascinated with how tall he is. This obsession with his height stems from his love of numbers, but mostly with his fierce competition with his brother who is 3 years older. It bugs him to no end that Walker is much taller than he is- at least a good 12 inches- and he will not stop until he is at least neck and neck with him. 

This competition prompted one of Liam's outbursts (and one of my all time favorite sayings of his!) when he asked, "Why did God make Walker fall out of the sky before me?!!!!"


Liam in the play Treasure Island with his ladies! 
There are many layers to Liam's theological and existential question, but most disturbing is the fact that he actually believed that babies fall out of the sky. I will fully take the blame for this!! I have not had the proper "talk" with him about the birds and the bees. (are we still calling it that these days?)

I don't know what it is. Maybe it is because Liam has shown literally no interest in wanting to know more about the human anatomy, where babies come from, or the difference between girls and boys. He likes girls- of this I am certain! He gets borderline obsessed with a few of them, to the point where we have had to put a "no hugging" boundary in place at school. 

But, he does not seem to be interested in the normal curiosities of boys his age. About a year ago, I made a feeble attempt at having the "talk" with him by starting the conversation like:

ME:   "Hey, did you know that  babies have to be pushed out of their mom's bottoms when they're born?"

LIAM:  "OH SHOOT!!!"

This was the end of it. No more questions. No asking why. He just simply stared out the window and probably tried to poke out his mind's eye while he thought about a woman pushing a baby out. 

Actually, I don't KNOW what he thought about next. This is what makes Liam such a mystery! Half the time we will be tracking on one subject, and then he will quickly parachute in with some other subject that is completely different than where we were going. It can be very difficult and somewhat maddening!! 

So, my quest to know when the right time will be to tell him about babies and where they come from (the stork, DUH!!!) will continue unanswered for now. I will take some of my cues from him, and maybe throw in a few other conversation starters like, 

"Did you know that a woman bleeds for 5-7 days each month?"

This should go over well.


****Our little family was featured in our neighborhood magazine with an excerpt from my blog! Go here to read the story!  http://www.fieldstonemagazine.com Click on the May issue!****

1 comment:

  1. Love your postings, Rebecca. Our oldest grandson who will be 22 years old next month also has Autism. He is one of the most delightful people I know. Your grandparents know about him. His mother, Candace Cooley, grew up with your parents and their siblings. Brooks is a junior at UT this year and has done a fabulous job. He too had some different reactions about different areas of his life when he was younger. Your son is so handsome and I love to hear from him. Please continue to share. Incidentally, Brooks and his family live in Knoxville. Rose Cooley

    ReplyDelete