Friday, June 28, 2013

Surrey Dune

Today, I am happy to say that I am down at the beach. My family and I come down to the Gulf of Mexico a few times a year. I am not unaware of this luxury. I realize there are some who may never get to spend a week off at the beach, or even get a vacation. Or as we say in the autism community, "same problems, different location".

This family beach house is named Surrey Dune. For one reason, it was named after my grandfather's family farm outside of Anniston, Alabama called Surrey Hill. And the dune part comes from the fact that it is quite literally sitting on top of a dune. The views are gorgeous, and I have watched the landscape develop all around us since 1984 when we began coming down here. This house has watched as scenic 30-A has become the vacation destination of the entire southeastern region of the country. Seaside was built close to the time when my grandparents obtained Surrey Dune, and it has been steadily growing ever since. 

As a child, I was not satisfied with our beach front haven. I wanted to be where all my cool friends were- at the Sandestin Hilton. But, it was just a far enough drive from my beach that my parents would never take me. I dreaded going back to school after spring break to hear all stories that I missed. I pretended that long, solo walks on the beach and playing UNO with my parents was just as fun. Little did I know that I would crave that time as an adult. But, what did I know as a kid? You can never tell kids that in the moment and have them get it! (stupid kids!)
Note the high cut hips!

Some things about this area haven't changed a bit. Alvin's Island, a store with an identity crisis, is still going strong. Alvin's Island was a store that everyone in the 80's thought was the coolest place in the world. I can remember asking my mom to take me there to get an awesome one-piece suit. I was not allowed to wear two piece suits, so the concession was to allow me to pick one out from Alvin's Island. My swimsuit was pastel pink and white pinstripes with cute snaps going down the front. It also was high cut on the hips! This was going to be a big hit with the fellas when I was in 8th grade. (think Tiffani Amber Thiessen circa 1989 "Saved By the Bell"--SO HOT!!)  The outside of the store looked and still looks like a fake rock or island- like something out of Disney World that was so cool when the park opened, but less appealing next to the more glitzy rides like Space Mountain, the Tower of Terror, or the Dumbo Ride. It has palm trees and the logo is written in 80's skater font, or in some locations, like the logo from Gilligan's Island.  The sign usually reads ALVIN'S ISLAND (WHERE YOU TOO CAN LOOK LIKE TIFFANI AMBER THIESSEN, OR GET A HENNA TATOO, OR PICK UP A PUKA SHELL NECKLACE) 
Not sure when the live shark and gator happen. This adds a whole, new dimension.


Alvin's Island is located about 20 minutes east of where we are in Florida in a little town called Panama City Beach. Unfortunately, PCB (aren't there carcinogens named after this place) has seen better days. Panama City Beach is like the beautiful prom date from the 80's. Her hair was perfectly teased, her puffy sleeves were sexy, and no tan was tan enough! Now to look at her, the 'sun-in' has faded, her tan skin is sagging in all the wrong places, and the only places that are puffy are the bags under her eyes. 

But maybe PCB will make a come back! Maybe, like Aztec print leggings, PCB will rise up and be the kitschy place we love and adore. Where else can you pick up a 6 pack, flip-flops, and an air-brushed t-shirt that says "Love Bites"?

In keeping with the kitschy theme, Surrey Dune is quite the specimen of kitsch. My lovely grandmother has collected all things beach and crammed them in to make it a wonderland of dolphins, shells, flamingos, and crabs...and that's just the den!! In her generation, you would never put your nice things in your vacation home. You put the stuff you don't want and add whatever appropriate themed knick-knacks. If you have a lake house, you add bass master paraphernalia and signs that say "gon' fishin'". In a beach house, you add signs like "Two Olde Crabs Live Here" next to a vase full of airbrushed seashells.

Or you have things like this:



These two items are NOT for sale, so do not inquire about them!!
















The best part of Surrey Dune is how my family is a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, DO NOT fix it...you add the new parts and keep the old."  As demonstrated in this lovely outdoor shower head. 



Do not, I repeat, DO NOT replace any part that works. This rusted out water pipe only looks like it doesn't work. We will, however, replace it with a killer shower head. (the bar of soap is original to the house)

Anytime there was something broken or finicky, my grandmother would add a word of warning to ward off those who may want to break her rules when she is not around. One of my favorites was the disposal that had a sign that read:

THE DISPOSAL IS OLD AND CRANKY LIKE ME!! DO NOT PUT LARGE FOOD INSIDE!

I do love this place. With all of it's clanky, quirky-ness, it is a wonderful place to grow up. My kids, of course, take for granted that you merely have to open the sliding glass door, and you are on your way to the beach. There are no high rises to ramble through, or resort fees to pay. We are directly in front of the gulf with the most magnificent views and sunsets! We will gladly put up with the scratchy poly-blend bed coverlets and water-stained ceilings. This is our beach house. This is Surrey Dune.


View from our front porch!
***Surrey Dune photo credit: David Gunnells***

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy how we could've ever taken that for granted when we were little. :)

    ReplyDelete