Thursday, September 20, 2012

Bringing Back "The Worm"

I was thinking today about all the various people that have helped me throughout my journey through autism. Some would say it takes a village. In my case, I believe it takes an entire continent. I do not know where my life would be if it were not for the various people who have helped me along the way-whether I paid them to be there, or held them for ransom until they did help me-either way, I am forever grateful.

One person that rises to the top in my mind is one, Hunter Gast. I have not even asked her if I can publicly ode her, but...well,... too late! Hunter came to me when I received a recommendation for HOPE Autism and Behavioral Health Services in Franklin, Tennessee. She was a new behavior therapist there, and she came over for a consultation. She came at one of my most desperate points. I think just that morning I had witnessed, what we affectionately named "The Worm", which was the sort of tantrum that Liam would throw that was so strong his body would contort into the popular 80's dance. Most of the time I did not know whether to laugh or cry. Sometimes, if the day had been really bad, I would just sit on the floor next to him and cry myself. I would have no where else to go with my frustration but on the floor. So, I would do "the worm" too. 

So there I was, tear-stained face, looking at this young twenty-something to save me from my situation. In my head I thought, "what does this cute Vandy grad know about my kid?" But as the weeks went by, Hunter thoughtfully, and sometimes bluntly, whipped us into shape. She saw the many patterns that Liam and I were in. The other dances we did together. Unlike "the worm" which is pretty much done by yourself, we were moving in unhealthy patterns of dance with me being worn down, giving into his desires, and him not learning how to overcome the idiosyncrasies of his autism. Liam and I knew our steps well and we needed a professional to get us out of them. 

I think the day that sealed the deal with Hunter and her commitment to us was when she received a swift kick in the face from Liam when she was (how dare she!) trying to get him to put his shoes on. She later called me that day (like a certified gangsta) to report that she indeed had a hairline fracture to her nose. I think that I would have politely turned in my resignation at that point, but this made Hunter's resolve even stronger to see Liam become all she knew he could be. 
(Liam looks like he's ready to do "the Worm" in this picture)

Do you have a Hunter in your life? I hope you do. We need all the support and resources we can get. And, the good news is that with all the publicity on autism lately, there are more and more people out there willing and trained to help. I highly recommend ABA therapy, which is what Hunter is certified in. It is the single most effective treatment that has gotten me through some of my worst seasons. So, if you find your little one doing "the worm", the "challenging cha-cha", or the "terrifying two-step", call in for back up! Get yourself another dance partner!

2 comments:

  1. This is great writing! Thanks for being brave enough to share- this is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! It's Molly (formerly)Mallory from Anniston. I've been reading your blog since your mom posted it on facebook, and I really appreciate it! I worked as an ABA therapist while we lived in St. Louis, and I've had mixed feelings about how much effect I had on various days. Your post of course has nothing to do with the kids I worked with, but it really made me feel hopeful that i did make a difference after all. Thank you! And thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete